Monday, April 26, 2010

Sleep Problems

Well Daniela is already five months old, and she still doesn't sleep through the night! I really thought by now she would. At it's not like she just wakes up once a night, she wakes up several times! When she wakes up she eats for a few minutes then goes back to sleep. Sometimes I think she's not getting enough to eat during the day, and that's why she continues to wake up at night and eat. And I think she falls back asleep before she really gets enough to eat, and that's why she wakes up again and eats more shortly after. I have no idea how much she eats because she nurses, but when I pump I don't get more than a couple ounces. Still, she doesn't ask for more during the day, and I don't want to overfeed her. She's already 75th percentile for weight, and I don't want her to become overweight. Right now the only formula she eats is 3 ounces before she goes to sleep at night. She goes to sleep at 9:30, but then she usually wakes up half an hour later and I have to put her back down. Then she sleeps until about 1:30 and wakes up to eat the first time. I didn't sleep all night until I was three years old, so Miguel says it's "karma". He knows how to push my buttons... Anyway, I'm trying to get her on more of a schedule. She has a bedtime routine that we do at the same time every night, so for the most part she goes to sleep at the same time every night, but the time she wakes up, her naps and her feedings are on demand and different everyday. Her naps are also short. On average she takes three naps a day, each for about 20 to 30 minutes. Once in a while she'll take a longer nap, and once in a while she'll take a five minute nap. I guess I'm so fun she just doesn't want to miss out on anything because she's sleeping... or not.

2 comments:

  1. You used to get up between 6 - 8 times a night. When I tried to let you cry it out,your big sisters would cry... Please pick up the baby! Please pick up the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are so fun!!! Griffin was getting up 4 times a night to nurse but now he is back to sleeping through the night, well he may wake 1-2 times and all I do is put his paci back in. I try not to pick him up. As you know I am done nursing. Now Griffin gets a bottle around 730 or 8 and then I lay him down awake and he goes to sleep.

    ReplyDelete