Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Things I Miss About the U.S.

It's been almost six months since I was in the United States, and I really can't wait to go home again. There are so many things I love about Mexico, all of which make it different than the U.S., but there are a million things I miss about the States. I think some things are obvious (my family and friends, the food, etc), and others you don't really think about until you live without them. Here are a few of the (non-obvious) things I miss.


1. Thanksgiving - A holiday obviously not celebrated in Mexico. I've spent the last two consecutive Thanksgivings in Guanajuato and Guadalajara, and I'd kill for a piece of pumpkin pie! While Mexico has some of its own unique holidays, Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorites. I miss both the food and celebrating with family.

2. Carpet - Every single house, and building for that matter, in Mexico that I've been in has tile floors. I miss carpet and being able to walk around barefoot without getting cold feet. I also think carpet, at least in some rooms, has a homier feel than tile.

3. Taco Bell - You'd think in the country where tacos originated one wouldn't miss Taco Bell, but I do! Taco Bell is nowhere near what real Mexican food is like, but I think it's delicious and miss it anyway. In Guanajuato we have McDonald's, Subway, and Applebee's. In the big cities nearby you can find Chili's, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Burger King. Taco Bell is just one of the many foods I miss. Don't even get me started on Red Robin :(

4. Clothes Dryers - Because it's usually sunny and warm here, everyone dries their clothes on a line outside. It's also, obviously, cheaper and better for the environment. Still, I miss having a dryer... Hanging everything on the line can be time consuming, especially when you wash a load consisting of a million little baby things. Plus I've always loved putting things on when they come out of the dryer warm and toasty. There are days when things dry super fast on the line, but I think most of the time a dryer is faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment